Categories:

Circle Practice & The Importance of SEL

Students in the Tomorrow’s Teachers elective receive a unique presentation about handling the emotional part of being an educator.
Circle Practice & The Importance of SEL

On October 7th 2024, the Tomorrow’s Teachers elective class welcomed guest speaker Carolyn Corbi for an educational seminar. Students learned and partook in Circle Practice, a social and emotional learning (SEL) technique that helps regulate conflict. Red Hawk Media staff reporters were also in attendance and able to participate in this seminar.

Circle Practice is a group SEL activity that encourages open and honest communication among students. The purpose is to develop a more open and understanding mindset, in order to build a safe space among peers. Within the practice, students are expected to speak and listen with intent, keep specific people anonymous (no “he said/she said”) unless told otherwise, and honor the confidentiality of the meeting. Maintaining healthy and positive conversation, as well as proper etiquette were of utmost importance.

Once the activity was fully explained, attendees ran the circle on their own with minimal assistance from the teachers. The conversation was led with questions designed to be broad. For each one, students would pass around an object to take turns being the main speaker. No one was forced to answer a question, so anyone who chose to answer would speak freely without judgment or interruption. Such questions from start to end included:

What’s your name and how are you feeling?

Who is an inspiring leader to you?

What are two qualities of a good leader?

What did you think of this activity/How do you feel now?

Overall, the seminar was well received by all participants. Students appreciated the comforting, calm energy throughout the entire process. No one was awkward, people felt allowed to be vulnerable. Nothing felt like an obligation because nothing was obligated. This event to many was a valuable experience and taught them a practice that they would like to do again. It is a practice they believe can be applied to anyone inside and outside of the education field.