ACIT Celebrates Senior Commitment Week

Military. College. Workforce. These Seniors Are Going Places!

“Forever a Red Hawk Friday” Senior Commitment Week, Day 5

Holly Zajack, staff reporter

On May 1, seniors across the country celebrated National College Decision Day. However, ACIT wanted to take this a step further. From May 2 to May 6, seniors participated in Senior Commitment Week, in which the graduating class of 2022 dressed up to show their chosen path after high school, and displayed their goals in the cafeteria.

“The goal is to get all of our seniors’ future goals up on the wall,” said Ms. Victoria Ragone, ACIT’s college and career counselor. “Because this is a vocational school that focuses on trades, we don’t want to just celebrate the students that are commiting to a two or four-year college, we also want to celebrate the students that have worked so hard to get certificates and hands-on experience to go straight into the workforce.”

To kick off the week, “Military Monday” showcased seniors who are planning to join a branch in the military. While many of the participating students are a part of the JROTC Academy here at ACIT, “Military Monday” also celebrates those in other academies who have made military plans.

“Joining the military after high school is very beneficial to those who are not completely sure on what they would like to do after graduation,” student Ayden Platt wrote to us. “It gives kids who are unsure a good chance at finding a path in their adult life.”

On “Two-Year Tuesday,” student’s donned hoodies and t-shirts of their chosen two-year college.

“I’m excited to start out my college experience at A.C.C.C. because I’ve been told it’s a good transition into college life,” said graduating senior Michael Hand who jokingly added, “I’m also really excited to have a mascot that lets me say I’m now a pirate.”

As a vocational school, ACIT prepares many students in the trades so they can join the workforce after graduation. To celebrate these students, “Working Wednesday” seniors dressed up like the trade they would be joining after high school.

On “University Thursday,” students planning to attend a four-year college wore t-shirts, hoodies, and hats that represented their university’s colors, logos, and mascots. With Stockton University being a local favorite among ACIT students seeking four-year degrees, a large Stockton University banner was displayed in the cafeteria for photo opportunities.

To finish off the week, students showed off their ACIT pride with “Forever a Red Hawk Friday.” With less than 30 days left of school, these seniors will soon be leaving the nest, so it was fitting to end Senior Commitment Week with the reminder: Once a Red Hawk, always a Red Hawk.