Lost Years, Lost Dollars

How the Class of 2022 Plans for a Year to Remember

It has been two years since a senior class had a normal senior year.

Think about it for a moment.

The Class of 2020 didn’t have a senior trip or prom. They didn’t have graduation until late July. The Class of 2021 did have a prom; however, that graduating class didn’t have a senior trip. On top of not having a senior trip, they couldn’t even fundraise, and popular events like Homecoming and Mr. Redhawk were cancelled. Fortunately for the Class of 2022, the possibility of bringing back all of these events is much higher.

Still, many students within the senior class are skeptical. Due to the pandemic, everything was thrown off, including class funds.

Peter Parlagreco is the senior class president for the Class of 2022, and he’s coming into office with so many questions and uncertainties lingering in the air–the biggest one of which is funds. I set out to interview our new class president with a few questions in mind, hoping Peter could offer our senior class more answers regarding the fate of our senior year.

“Fundraising is my main focus,” Parlagreco says. “It won’t be easy to secure the funds we need, but after seeing everybody come together to support Homecoming, I’m confident we’ll be able to pull it off.”

This year so far two important fundraising events that have been confirmed are Homecoming and Mr. Redhawk. Planning for school events always entails a higher degree of stress and logistics. Add a pandemic to it all and things get even more complicated. Despite these new challenges, however, many in the senior class are working hard to make sure these school events still happen.

Ms. Shaughnessy, the senior class adviser, offered insight into the class’ money troubles: “Due to the pandemic and being out of school for so long for COVID protocols, the students in the class of 2022 did not have access to as many fundraising opportunities in their sophomore and junior years.”

Even though everything looks so dark and grey, at the end of this tunnel there is a light. Yes, making money currently is hard for the senior class. However, there are many ways a student–senior or not–can help. Homecoming was a huge success this year, with the selling of over 600 tickets. The money generated from those ticket sales is a solid start.

“The senior class, so far this year, has shown a lot of enthusiasm and commitment to raising as much money as possible with the time that is left!” Ms. Shaughnessy states.

All the actions that the senior class and student council have been doing has been noticed by many teachers and staff. Mr. Redhawk did not happen last year; but, with the help and the demand of the students, Mr. Redhawk is taking place this year on November 19th. Any students in or outside of school who can go would truly help the senior class with funds. Not only does it help the seniors, but in the grand scheme of things, it acts as a huge step toward strengthening our school’s sense of community.

Still, many students have concerns. What if this enthusiasm burns out? How do we reunite our class and our school after what felt like a lost and disconnecting year for everyone?

“The goal is to have a year worth remembering. To have that, my job is to bring everybody together. If we can be one giant community, then that’s a great stepping stone to the idea of raising money,” Parlagreco states. “Go to Mr. Redhawk! Go to the Winter Formal! We’re planning and organizing tons of events where everyone can come together, but we can’t do it without everyone’s support.”

Even though it’s only November, Peter and the class council have been working very hard to make sure that the seniors will have a fantastic year. Speaking about future events and fundraising seems simple enough. However, the student council can’t make this possible without the help of the student body.

So, go to Mr. Redhawk, and attend the Winter Formal. These events are the biggest fundraisers for the senior class. Everybody being able to attend these events will help the senior class.With people having fun and spreading the word, that helps the senior class in the long run and sets the tone for future senior classes to come. It becomes a win-win situation for everyone.

In the spirit of our newly-elected senior class president, let’s do our part and “make this a year worth remembering.”